20110314

Red Bean Curry Pie (similar to Rajma Masala)

Today is Pi day, and our contest required a pie that was not a standard dessert pie.  This is my imitation of Rajma Masala, stuffed under a puffed pastry shell.  Due to the stock I used, this is not a vegetarian dish like a standard Rajma Masala.  Apologies to my vegetarian coworkers, but I wanted some extra flavor.

I don't have as many pictures as normal, but I was in a hurry to get this thing done before the pie judging started.

Cooked pie

Ingredients
Collection of ingredients
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
  • 2 spicy green peppers, seeded and chopped - I used serrano peppers.  If you need more spice, increase the red peppers, not the green ones, a bitter taste will develop.
  • a few dry red peppers - I used about 8 "Chile Pequin Entero" peppers (these are tiny) from the Latino section of the store
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 can diced tomatoes - 3-4 average chopped whole tomatoes could work
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • 2 tsp curry powder - use up to 1 1/2 tbsp if you like
  • 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
  • salt to taste (~1/2 tsp, more if not using stock)
  • 2 tbsp flour for thickening
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed for about 30-40 minutes or until flexible.  This should still be cold just before cooking it
  • 1-2 tsp oil - I used olive oil
Chopped ginger and serrano peppers
Directions
Onions, garlic, ginger, coriander, peppers
  • Cook onion in oil until mostly soft (about 4 minutes).
  • Add coriander seeds, cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
  • Add garlic, ginger, and spicy peppers.  Cook for a few minutes.
  • Add cumin, garam masala, cumin.  Stir well.
  • Add beans, tomatoes, stock (or water).  Cook for about 5 minutes.
  • Mix flour equally with water to make a paste (prevents lumps), add to pot and cook for at least 5 minutes to break down the starches
  • Pour cooked mixture into pie pan
  • Top with puff pastry, slit top slightly (it will partially seal)
  • Place on cookie sheet to prevent drips.  I used foil, since that is all that will fit in the toaster oven.
  • Cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes, rotating as needed for even browning.

What would I do differently?

  • This really could have used more beans and spicy peppers.  Since I already blew the vegetarian bit, I could have added a bit of chicken to it.

How did it do?  
  • Well, it didn't come in last, but nearly so.  Doesn't bother me one bit, since I cook food for myself, and this wasn't too bad.  Everyone else can just starve if they don't like it. ;)

2 comments: