I don't have as many pictures as normal, but I was in a hurry to get this thing done before the pie judging started.
|Collection of ingredients|
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 spicy green peppers, seeded and chopped - I used serrano peppers. If you need more spice, increase the red peppers, not the green ones, a bitter taste will develop.
- a few dry red peppers - I used about 8 "Chile Pequin Entero" peppers (these are tiny) from the Latino section of the store
- 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes - 3-4 average chopped whole tomatoes could work
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder - use up to 1 1/2 tbsp if you like
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- salt to taste (~1/2 tsp, more if not using stock)
- 2 tbsp flour for thickening
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed for about 30-40 minutes or until flexible. This should still be cold just before cooking it
- 1-2 tsp oil - I used olive oil
|Chopped ginger and serrano peppers|
|Onions, garlic, ginger, coriander, peppers|
- Cook onion in oil until mostly soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add coriander seeds, cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add garlic, ginger, and spicy peppers. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add cumin, garam masala, cumin. Stir well.
- Add beans, tomatoes, stock (or water). Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Mix flour equally with water to make a paste (prevents lumps), add to pot and cook for at least 5 minutes to break down the starches
- Pour cooked mixture into pie pan
- Top with puff pastry, slit top slightly (it will partially seal)
- Place on cookie sheet to prevent drips. I used foil, since that is all that will fit in the toaster oven.
- Cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes, rotating as needed for even browning.
What would I do differently?
- This really could have used more beans and spicy peppers. Since I already blew the vegetarian bit, I could have added a bit of chicken to it.
How did it do?
- Well, it didn't come in last, but nearly so. Doesn't bother me one bit, since I cook food for myself, and this wasn't too bad. Everyone else can just starve if they don't like it. ;)