20110113

Chicken and peppers (Mediterranean inspired)

Another dish that shows some resemblance to other food from which it draws the basic inspiration.
Dish served with a spinach salad (somewhat Greek style) and crusty bread roll

Ingredients
Ingredients (not shown: caldo, sweet peppers)
  • 2 chicken breasts, sliced thinly
  • sweet peppers, seeded and sliced - I used 6 mini red, yellow, and orange peppers, but 2-3 medium bell peppers would do just fine
  • spicy peppers, seeded and sliced - I used 2 of "yellow peppers", which are fairly mild.
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4-5 green olives - mine were Spanish olives ("Queens") stuffed with pimiento 
  • tomato sauce - I used about 1/2 can that I had left over from a previous meal
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil (for cooking chicken)
  • 1/2 tsp marjoram
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken broth (back to the "caldo" for me)

Sliced peppers and olives


Spinach salad with apples
Salad Ingredients
  • spinach (a few large handfuls)
  • 1/2 green apple, in chunks
  • 4-5 sliced olives
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1-2 tsp vinegar - I used white wine vinegar
  • feta cheese - I used 3 large "crumbles" from a big block, which could have been about 1/4 cup
  • mint - about 1/4 tsp is all it took for it to show off the full flavor
  • salt and pepper to taste


Cooked chicken and onions


Directions
  • Cook meat with olive oil.  This took me about 9 minutes, with frequent stirring, at 60% power because the chicken was frozen.  I also used the dry caldo in with it as well.
  • Add the onions, cook until tender.  This was about 2 1/2 minutes on 60% power.
  • Add the remaining ingredients (tomato sauce, peppers, herbs, broth or water for broth).
  • Cook until hot.  This was about 4 minutes on high.  If you prefer your peppers in a softer form, cook them a little with the onions and chicken before adding the liquid ingredients.
How was it?
My test victim in the office seemed to like it. The very short list of herbs made for a simple sauce that soaked up tastily with the bread.  The spinach salad and crusty bread roll made a good accompaniment for a complete meal.

What should be done in a real kitchen?
A little sauce reduction would have helped in my case.  Slight browning of the chicken would have made things even tastier.  We'll see how things go next week when I start using the induction cooker I ordered for use here.

What would I do differently next time?
I would probably slice the hot peppers more thinly and add them with the onions.  The earlier you add them the hotter your dish will become.


No comments:

Post a Comment